Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Bringing up PK1

I have really been struggling with PK1 lately.  You know how sometimes you just throw your hands up in the air and say, "WHAT is going on with this child?" Well, in our case I know exactly what is going on. From the first day of her life I knew that the Lord had given her to me to draw me closer to Him and make me a stronger, more self controlled person. 



Don't get me wrong.  PK1 is a great kid, but she is just SO different from me and lately my patience has been low and my frustration has been high.















But the other day I was acutely reminded what a great kid she really is. When PK2 and I picked her up from the school she goes to once a week, she opened her little backpack and took out a frosted valentine cookie wrapped in a napkin.  One of the moms had sent cookies for the class and she had saved hers to share with her sister when she got home.  When I told PD about this, I started crying, when I was on the treadmill this morning and thought of it, I started crying.  I couldn't believe how selfless and loving that was.  And that she thought of it all on her own.   I could just see her watching all the other kids eat their cookie and choosing to save hers to share.  I am more the type of person to hide the last of a really good dessert and scarf it down when no one is around so I don't have to share.  Maybe different than ME is not such a bad thing!
She is really laid back and forgiving.  She is generous.  She plays so sweetly with her little sister, even including her when there are other big kids around.
What a blessing she is to me.  I hope I can do right by her.  I really want to enjoy her strengths and patiently help her improve in her areas of weakness.  She certainly does this for me.

4 comments:

chicago_mom said...

I'm crying thinking of her watching the other kids eat their cookies too! Sweet girl...but don't tell her or she'll dive under a pillow and make cat noises. Haha.

really.truly said...

What she did is so sweet!

I totally know what you mean about our children drawing us closer to Him. Oh and .....the "what is going on with this child"part. It happens all the time here!

Your daughters are adorable!

schwadette said...

If she isn't the sweetest! Isn't it amazing how much we can learn from our kiddos??

Kelli said...

I gave you an award. Check out my blog.