Saturday, January 1, 2011

Christmas Eve... and I talk about some stuff

Christmas Eve, PD was home from work and the girls begged to be pulled in the sled.  There was only a little snow, but he did his best.























I love this picture because it is cute, but also it just makes me think of all the times the girls say "can you zip my coat...I have to go potty...can you tie my shoe...I need a snack."  I love it when PD is around and he is the one who has to shake the snow out of the dropped mitten.























Sidebar on how hard it is to be a full time mom to little kids. When PK1 was two and I was pregnant with PK2 I was complaining to a group of moms about how hard it is to be pregnant and deal with a two year old.  Another mom told me that she hates it when there are dirty fingerprints and smudges all over her glass door, but when she is wiping it down, she tries to pray and thank God for those little fingers that make the mess. That has really stuck with me. Who can argue with that?  Chubby little fingers?  What's not to love? And God gave me these little ones to live at my house!   Another one I came up with on my own was that I used to hate giving the girls a bath.  At the end of a long day, after dinner I just want to punch my time clock and be done.  The faucet in their tub is hard to regulate and hard to reach.  One day though, I realized I only have a really short amount of time left to be giving these girls a bath..soon they would be showering themselves!  After I realized that, I decided to pretend each bath was the last one I was going to give them.  It really changed my attitude. Only problem with that is I would start to tear up every time I gave them a bath!
Here they are with our house in the background.  I love our house.  Whenever we pull in the drive I always tell the girls, "Oooooo here we are at the prettiest house in the neighborhood!"  It is partly for them, but it really helps me to be content when all my friends are building their mansion/houses.  And I do think our house looks pretty sharp with the black shutters I painted last spring and all the work PD has put into it over the years.

























Christmas Eve, the Ohio side of our family came to our house.  I didn't have time for pictures because I was playing hostess, but I had to show this great cake the PKs and I made.  It looks pretty normal until you cut it open. Wait for it.....


























Oooooo....Aahhhhhh.... Isn't that fantastic?  We had fun making it and I only swore a little ..to myself...in my head. It took five cake pans, two cake mixes, one and a half days and a pound of butter!























I got the idea for the cake here.  And to see my sister's version go here.

4 comments:

Kelli said...

I loved hearing you talk about some stuff...keeping it real and in perspective. Great cake too!!! I did rainbow cupcakes for Jamison's birthday one year and they turned out so cute.

The Whites said...

I totally teared up reading/thinking about giving Faith her last bath (I hate baths too...). I'll have to keep that in mind when I pick up toys for the hundredth time... it might be the last time, soon she'll pick them up herself right?.... hopefully?.... someday??

My Not So Simple, Domestic Life said...

Thanks for the great perspective. I feel the same way about the front of my refridgerator. I hear moms talk about how they don't like the front of theirs to get all cluttered. But I love for it to get all cluttered with the kids artwork, funny pictures, and the school lunch calendar. I will have the rest of my life to have a clean fridge door. ~Katie

Mamarazzi said...

I love how you keep perspective...and it IS hard to watch around you the "mansion houses" going up and all the latest toys that every other child has and mine doesn't...Thank you for the reminding dear friend...you are a constant encouragement and inspiration!